abby barrett

abbybarrettart.wordpress.com

The main process for this exhibition derives from an experimentation of different materials. I tend to have a short attention span when it comes to art, and I find myself constantly wanting to try something new. Therefore, my work seems to revolve over different themes and materials. In my artwork, I liked to explore different ideas through mixed media. Recently, I have been experimenting with acrylic paints, gel mediums and spray paint. I generally use vibrant colours to portray my themes of nature. My next project will explore themes of space and planets. Elaine De Kooning and Lee Krasner have been major influences in my work this year in terms of abstract painting. However, what interest me most about their art practice were the women themselves. Being two women involved in the abstract expressionism movement in the 1920s, they were consequently overshadowed by the likes of male artists. Katarina Grosse has also become a major influence in my work as I explore spray paint as a material. While acknowledging that the artist Chris Trueman is an up and coming artist rather than a critically acclaimed one, he still reflected a massive influence on my work.