Welcome to the Workshop information page!
This resource will direct you toward helpful information and give guidance on how to access the workshop facilities and gain technical support.
What we offer
- Wood Workshop Inductions on Wednesday morning and afternoon (available to all year groups)
- Bookable online consultations (available between 11:40- 12:40) on Monday & Thursday).
Link to- >>>Online Consultation<<<
- 4 bookable workbenches with access to the high hazard space (once a full induction has been completed).
- A metal workspace is also available with 1 workbench. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Think about your requirements
Before attending the wood workshop in person please consider the following:
- What it is that you want to do/make? (A sketch with dimensions is a good place to start)
- Have you undertaken these processes before?
- Do you have the relevant workshop training?
If you cannot confidently answer the questions above for yourself then YOU MUST contact Tom or Oren through Online Consultations to discuss your requirements and needs further. Failing to do this could mean that you will not be able to complete your work as planned.
Link to- >>>Online Consultation<<<
It’s important that you are confident and are able to work safely in the wood workshop, so you should ask questions if you are unsure before/during/after practical processes.
Booking a workbench
Currently, there are 4 workbenches available (check the link below for availability), and these provide a space in which to work whilst having access to the *high hazard space (if trained to do so). Please indicate which machines you intend to use in the project details box when signing up.
*High Hazard workspace includes- chop saw, band saw, small band saw, scroll saw, pillar drill etc.
Link to- >>>Wood Workshop booking <<<
Tools can be signed out between 09:15 – 9:30 and 12:45 – 13:00 but must be returned by 16:45 the same day. Please note that tools can only be hired out if a full induction has been completed.
There are platforms available in Studios 2,3 and 4 and these can be found under the studio workbenches. Students can use the platform without booking, but please use them correctly.
1) Put the red safety catch in place after extending the legs (use on a flat surface).
2) Make sure someone else in the space is aware you are using the platform (keep an eye on each other’s safety).
3) Keep both your feet on the platform when you’re on it (no stretching on one foot). If the platform is in the wrong place carefully step off and move it, don’t stretch!
Ladders can be hired between 09:15 – 9:30 and 12:45 – 13:00 as long as a risk assessment has been fully completed.
Materials can be purchased using the Online Art Shop. If you are unsure of what you need, please talk with Tom or Oren first via an Online Consultation.
Large material collection (wood/sheet material):
You can collect your material the following day between 09:15 – 9:30 and 12:45 – 13:00.
Link to- >>> Online Art Shop <<<
If you would like any other information about the Online Shop, please contact:
Mildred Burchett-Vass email@example.com
Consumables and reusing materials
There are a number of consumables available in the workshop, such as: screws, nails, nuts and bolts and glass paper.
There is also a selection of wood offcuts that you are welcome to use. You can find these in the storage containers under the chop saw and in the larger container by the table saw. Please put any useful unwanted excess material back into these bins for others to use. Any pine/ply offcuts that are too small to be useful should be placed in the wood recycling bin (no painted wood or MDF).
Staying safe/Covid-19 mitigation
The University encourages face coverings to be worn when moving around in indoor spaces and when in close contact with those you do not regularly spend time with.
Hand sanitiser is available at the front of the workshop and should be used when entering and exiting the workshop space.
The workshop space has been arranged to minimise close contact where possible with benches placed 2 metres away from each other.
Please place used tools in the to be cleaned section at the front of the workshop.
It is fantastic to be back in the workshop and Oren and I look forward to helping bring your ideas to life. Please be patient and considerate with staff and help us by vacuuming up dust, clearing your waste/spare material and placing tools in the cleaning space when finishing up.
Look forward to seeing you all soon!
Oren and Tom