Success! The Digitally Ready showcase

As you have picked up from the title, the Digitally Ready showcase event was a success!

I was excited to find out more about other projects around the university that Digitally Ready had funded and share my workings and what I had achieved on my project.

The projects discussed ranged from a longitudinal survey of students using technology to the modification of blackboard to include an E-learning support tab. There was very little similarity between any of the projects. However, it was clear that every project had the same aim in mind: to increase digital opportunities and on the whole enhance the teaching and learning experience for our staff and students. To find out more about this eventful day and a chance to see me on camera, see the Digitally Ready blog for a summary.

My prezi presentation went down a treat; it didn’t cause any motion sickness and ran smoothly. It was a great experience being the only student in a room of academics, despite the intensive quizzing and questioning! Here is a link to my Prezi presentation, for anyone interested in what it looked like!

Conscious that I only had five minutes to present, I had to find a way to say everything I wanted in such a small space of time! I started my presentation by giving the audience an overview of work done on my UROP placement last summer. Once I had given enough context, I moved on to discussing my current works of the placement which included: lecture breakdown; working with technology and the Co authorship of my first paper.

Firstly, lecture breakdown, I informed the audience of the main difference between the ‘Integrated Systems Approach’ module presently being developed and the ‘Genome to Proteome’ module which was developed during my UROP placement, with the former module being far more computationally based. As an example, I detailed a proposed lecture structure for a topic within the module called ‘Structure based drug design’.

Secondly, working with technology, this was the most relevant slide for the showcase. I explained to the audience how I had used video editing software in interview editing or for making videos to put in lectures. I also showed them a video I had created, detailing the abilities of the E – learning package articulate, the software we have chosen for online delivery of the EEB modules. I even showed them some of my skills with PyMOL, a protein visualisation package.

Thirdly, I ran through my discovery of publishing in the academic world, my struggles and how we hope to publish my UROP work in a Teaching and Learning Journal.

Finally, I informed the audience what I got out of the Digitally Ready placement in terms of skills and how I wouldn’t have been able to secure my next  placement without it ( a web assistant combined with some Research  & development with British and American Tobacco).

All in all, I found all the talks were very informative. The experience was thoroughly enjoyable and has increased my confidence for subsequent public speaking events. A big pat on my shoulders and thanks to the DR team, Tee and Kim for giving me this opportunity.

This entry was posted in Bioscience Industry Skills Courses and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.