We were very pleased to welcome Vic Aspland, President of the Cyclamen Society, to the RNG herbarium today. Vic and colleagues from the Society had chance to examine the recently mounted herbarium collections of Cyclamen colchicum from the Society expedition in 2013 and to talk to Kalman Konyves who has been conducting some Cyclamen DNA sequencing alongside his PhD on Narcissus sect. Bulbocodii.
We have been working with the Cyclamen Society very productively for over 10 years now. They have supported three MSc projects as well as more ad-hoc research. The work they have sponsored has resulted in a series of articles for the society journal including three from MSc projects and two from PhD and post-doctoral research. Sponsorship from the society has contributed to the publication of several refereed papers too. Key Society contributors to this work include Martyn Denney, Chris Clennett, Melvyn Jope and Peter Moore who have co-authored papers with us.
Yesson, C. and Culham, A. (2011) Biogeography of Cyclamen: an application of phyloclimatic modelling. In: Hodkinson, T., Jones, M., Waldren, S. and Parnell, J. (eds.) Climate change, ecology and systematics. Cambridge University Press, pp. 265-279. ISBN 9780521766098 (Chapter 12)
Ciotir, C., Yesson, C., Culham, A. and Cristea, N. (2011) DNA barcoding of Cyclamen species: another approach to species identification. Cyclamen, 35 (1). pp. 26-29. ISSN 1757-2045
Yesson, C., Toomey, N. H. and Culham, A. (2009) Cyclamen: time, sea and speciation biogeography using a temporally calibrated phylogeny. Journal of Biogeography, 36 (7). pp. 1234-1252. ISSN 0305-0270 doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2699.2008.01971.x
Culham, A. and Bota, P. (2009) The taxonomic status of Cyclamen subgenus Psilanthum Schwarz. Cyclamen, 33 (1). pp. 22-25.
Compton, J.A., Clennett, J.C.B. and Culham, A. (2004) Nomenclature in the dock. Overclassification leads to instability: a case study in the horticulturally important genus Cyclamen (Myrsinaceae). Botanical Journal of The Linnean Society, 146 (3). pp. 339-349. ISSN 0024-4074 doi: 10.1111/j.1095-8339.2004.00322.x
In addition this research has led to five new name combinations (listed in IPNI):
- Primulaceae Cyclamen confusum (Grey-Wilson) Culham, Jope & P.Moore — Cyclamen 33(1): 14. 2009 [Jun 2009]
- Primulaceae Cyclamen hederifolium Aiton subsp. crassifolium (Hildebr.) Culham, Denney & P.Moore — Cyclamen 33(1): 14. 2009 [Jun 2009]
- Primulaceae Cyclamen rhodium Gorer ex O.Schwarz & Lepper f. albiflorum (B.Mathew) J.Compton & Culham — J. Cyclamen Soc. 27(2): 72. 2003 [Dec. 2003]
- Primulaceae Cyclamen rhodium Gorer ex O.Schwarz & Lepper subsp. peloponnesiacum (Grey-Wilson) J.Compton & Culham — J. Cyclamen Soc. 27(2): 72. 2003 [Dec. 2003]
- Primulaceae Cyclamen rhodium Gorer ex O.Schwarz & Lepper subsp. vividum (Grey-Wilson) J.Compton & Culham — J. Cyclamen Soc. 27(2): 72. 2003 [Dec. 2003]