Mark Hutchings: recent and forthcoming publications

During my Leverhulme Study Abroad Fellowship held earlier this year in Valladolid, Spain I worked on several projects related to my interest in Anglo-Spanish relations in the early modern period. The following articles published this year offer an idea of my research, which is both conventionally text/performance-based and crosses over into the field of diplomacy studies:

Mark Hutchings, ‘The Spectre of Gondomar in the Wake of A Game at Chess’, The Seventeenth Century 27:4 (2012), 435-453.

Mark Hutchings & Berta Cano Echevarría, ‘Between Courts: Female Masquers and Anglo-Spanish Diplomacy, 1603-05’, Early Theatre 15.1 Special Issue: ‘Access and Contestation: Women’s Performance in Early Modern England, Italy, France, and Spain’ (Summer 2012), 93-110.

Mark Hutchings, ‘The Changeling at Court’, Cahiers Elisabethains 81 (Spring 2012), 15-24.

Berta Cano Echevarría & Mark Hutchings, ‘The Spanish Ambassador and The Vision of the Twelve Goddesses: A New Document’, English Literary Renaissance 42.2 (Spring 2012), 223-57.

In September I presented a paper at the University of Oxford’s EEBO-TCP conference on the use of the database Early English Books Online (EEBO) in teaching, drawing on my Part 3 module Editing the Renaissance (EN3ER). This is part of a project to establish a link between the English department’s teaching of scholarly editing at undergraduate level and the Text Creation Partnership (TCP), based at the Bodleian Libraries at Oxford, which is keen to see how at Reading we use EEBO in teaching and has also expressed a willingness to host student placements.

I am currently working on a paper which re-examines the significance of the relationship between economics and the geography of early modern London playhouses, and I hope to present this at the Early Modern Research Centre seminar series next term.

About Cindy

Associate Professor in the Department of English Literature at the University of Reading. Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
This entry was posted in Department of English Literature news and events and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.