Newsletter item: Communications at Work

CAW Oliver Ratcliffe

Oliver Ratcliffe writes:

Communications at Work

So how does English Literature at Reading interlace with a possible career? Prior to coming to Reading my knowledge of studying Literature was fairly confined within the realms of Shakespeare, Chaucer, Hardy and many other household names. But as well as an in-depth exploration of these renowned writers, Literature at Reading offered something more… something more relevant to a future career. For me, this was in the form of a second year module I am taking called ‘Communications at Work’. The module consists of a two-week placement and a variety of interactive workshops, presentations and reports. As I chose English Literature with the intention of eventually pursuing a career in broadcasting and journalism, this was right up my street. The module offers an insightful view into modern media and communications, something that I had never experienced within the territory of English Literature before. So not only do I now have a good understanding of iconic writers, but I can see where my degree is taking me.

About Cindy

Associate Professor in the Department of English Literature at the University of Reading. Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
This entry was posted in Department of English Literature news and events and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.