Newsletter item: the UROP scheme

Sophie Mckenna writes:

Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme (UROP)

Part Two students are eligible to apply for the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme, in which you work with university staff on a research project over the summer break. I worked with the English Literature department at the University’s Special Collections to digitise the records of the Hogarth Press, the publishing press of Virginia and Leonard Woolf. I learnt about the process of digitisation by preparing the archive to be hosted online: I transcribed files and analysed the sources, which helps explain what is available within vast archives. Also, I attended a London conference on digital humanities, and created an academic poster with my co-workers: this was displayed during an event at the Oxford Museum of Natural History.
UROP participants are required to create a poster about their placement, which are then displayed at a showcase event. The posters are judged, and students who create winning posters are supported by the university to attend the British Conference of Undergraduate Research.

Additionally, as a joint-honours student, I have taken part in two academic placements with the History department: in second year, for a compulsory module, I worked with a group to host a ‘World War One Roadshow’; and currently, through a placement-based module, I am working for a term at the Berkshire Records Office on an archival project. These experiences provided by the university enable students to explore different career options, so take all opportunities throughout your degree!

Newsletter UROP

About Cindy

Associate Professor in the Department of English Literature at the University of Reading. Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
This entry was posted in Department of English Literature news and events. Bookmark the permalink.