All quiet on the lawn

The lawn got a haircut a week ago. There were just too many seed heads browning in the August sun. It was an aesthetic decision rather than a height based one. The yarrow was in flower and looked quite nice, but I’ve learned that yarrow can get a bit woody and look rather unattractive when cut. I made the call – time to snip.

Here we are eight days later:

August lawn

August lawn

The strongest flush of flowers seems to have passed, particularly the natives. The non-natives continue to put through a few flowers and will continue to do so ( I have hopes for an autumn bloom of the blue pea – Parochetus communis),  but inevitably they are small and almost insignificant in their current small numbers. It is only eight days since mowing though.

It’s at this time of year that the foliage of a diverse species mix plays a greater role than the flowers. Here are a few random photos of the lawn in close up to show what I mean.

August lawn close up 1

August lawn close up 1

August lawn close up 2

August lawn close up 2

August lawn close up 3

August lawn close up 3

I am biased of course, but I still think that this wonderful mix of shapes, tones and leaf colours is more interesting than monotone blades of grass.