What has the University Library done for students lately? Here’s how we enhanced your central hub for study and interaction this summer.
Study space and technology enhancements
- We’ve created more study spaces on the 2nd, 3rd and 5th Floors, where we’ve refurbished yet another room. We’ve also reserved all 5th Floor areas for Silent Study, expanding the number of places in this category since last year.
- We’ve added plasma screens to two Group Study Rooms and two new Group Study Pods on the Ground Floor – just plug in your laptop. Remember you can still book Presentation Practice Room 106 on the 1st Floor with its plasma screen.
- We’ve installed Smartboards to training rooms 107 and 108. You’ll benefit during Library and ITS training taught here or try them out for yourselves when the rooms are not booked.
- We moved the ‘Quiet with PCs’ room to the quieter, far south side of the 1st Floor – Room 109.
Stock moves, and a new Store
We created additional study space when we moved 14,000 shelves of books and journals. In addition, we’ve:
- improved shelf layouts help you navigate around.
- added over 2,000 shelves of Bulmershe Collection items, from the former Bulmershe Library, closed in July as academic activity leaves Bulmershe Court*.
- relegated 3,500 shelves of lesser-used and research material to ‘closed-access’ storage at our new Off-campus Store.
Our Collections Project will continue to provide further improvments over the next few years.
Library home for Study Advice & Maths Support
We’ve built a new, permanent home for Study Advice, conveniently right next to the University’s largest PC area and IT Help counter, concentrating advisers right where they’re needed.
The University installed up-to-date power distribution this summer and will rewire over the next few years, improving safety. We will press for an additional increase in plug sockets for laptop users.
Helping you – our ‘constant’
Throughout every change, we remain passionate about helping you find the information you need to achieve the highest standards. Use our experience and training to get ahead. Contact us for help.
What did we do for you before?
Find out what the Library did for you over the last few years on a previous blog.