We are here to support your studies, providing you with access to information – online, multimedia or printed – and the skills to make the most of it.
For a general intro…
Learning how to use the Library
A large academic library can be confusing and hard to find your way around. This year Library services are also operating from two buildings: study space and services are located in the URS Building, whilst printed materials are still available to borrow from the adjacent Library building.
Come to a ‘Finding your way in the Library’ session
Our interactive sessions run throughout Welcome Week and Week 1. Discover how to find books in the Library and borrow them, and have a tour of the services and facilities in the URS Building. Each session lasts around one hour, but could save you a lot more time in the long run!
To find out more and book your place see – Finding your way workshops.
Explore your Library & the URS Building in Welcome Week
We are open through Welcome Week, so why not explore before all the other students return? Between 09:00 and 17:00 you can:
- Collect a self-guided Library tour leaflet to follow – stop off at whatever is relevant to you.
- Visit the Library to find resources for your subject – pick up a guide to your subject there and pick-up a freebie from one of our information suppliers.
- Pop in to the URS Building next door to discover your favourite study areas on the 2nd Floor (we’ve got silent, quiet and group spaces) and the largest PC facility in the University on the Ground Floor (along with IT help from the Service Desk).
- Also meet Study Advice and Maths Support on the Ground Floor of the URS Building and pick up a free planner to organise your new University life!
Visit us in the Marquee
On Tuesday 19 September, Library staff and the Study Advice Team will be in the Marquee for ‘Academic success and module selection day’. Please pop in and have a chat with us about how we can support your studies.
Explore our online help
We’ve got lots of resources on our website to support your studies and develop your skills.
- Try one of our LibLearn Tutorials to find out how to use the Library, search the catalogue, and more. Available 24/7 on Blackboard, the University’s online learning system.
- Watch our videos – these cover a variety of topics ranging from placing holds on books, to doing your literature search.
- Take a look at your subject guide, to discover key resources relevant to your studies.
- Develop your study skills by exploring the wide range of guides and videos provided by our in-house Study Advice Team.
Your friendly subject liaison librarian will be happy to give you individual help with any subject-related enquiries, or questions about the Library. You might also see yours as part of a Library session organised by your Department.
For one-to-one help with study skills contact the Study Advice Team.
Prepare yourself for life at University
Have you completed the Study Smart online course? This short course has been designed to help you make a smooth transition to University learning. It covers academic integrity, communicating at University and being an independent learner. Why not find time in Welcome Week to complete the course if you haven’t already done so?
For more information…
For extra guidance see Information for new Library users on our website.
This is one of a series of tips to help save you time and effort finding or using information