Welcome to University of Reading Library!
We are here to support your studies, providing you with access to information – online, multimedia or printed – and the skills to make the most of it.
What you need to know
For a general intro, check out our guide for new students.
This year Library services are operating from two buildings. Study space and services are in the Library@URS Building, whilst printed materials are still available to borrow from the main Library building next door. The Library building also has some study space.
Come to a ‘Finding your way’ session
Our interactive workshops run throughout Welcome Week and Week 1. Discover how to find books in the Library and borrow them, and have a tour of the services and facilities in the Library@URS Building. Each session lasts around one hour, but could save you a lot more time in the long run!
Visit our website to find out more and book your place.
Explore in Welcome Week
We are open through Welcome Week, so why not explore before all the other students return? Between 09:00 and 17:00 you can:
- Visit the Library to find resources for your subject – pick up a guide to your subject there and pick up some freebies.
- Pop in to the Library@URS next door to discover your favourite study areas on the 2nd Floor and the largest PC facility in the University on the Ground Floor (along with IT help from the Service Desk).
- Meet Study Advice and Maths Support on the Ground Floor of the Library@URS and pick up a free planner to organise your new University life!
Visit us in the Marquee
On Tuesday 25 September, Library staff and the Study Advice and Maths Support teams will be in the Marquee for the Academic Success Fair. Please pop in and have a chat with us about how we can support your studies. We’ll have freebies and a photo booth too!
Explore our online help
We’ve got lots of resources on our website to support your studies and develop your skills.
- Try one of our LibLearn tutorials to find out how to use the Library, search the catalogue, and more. Available 24/7 on Blackboard, the University’s online learning system.
- Watch our videos which cover a variety of topics ranging from requesting books to doing your literature search.
- Take a look at your subject guide to discover key resources relevant to your studies.
- Develop your study skills by exploring the wide range of guides and videos provided by our in-house Study Advice Team.
Get individual help
Your friendly subject liaison librarian will be happy to give you individual help with any subject-related enquiries, or questions about the Library. You might also see yours as part of a Library session organised by your Department.
For one-to-one help with study skills contact the Study Advice Team.
Prepare yourself for life at university
Have you completed the Study Smart online course? This short course has been designed to help you make a smooth transition to University learning. It covers academic integrity, communicating at University and being an independent learner. Why not find time in Welcome Week to complete the course if you haven’t already done so? You should have received an e-mail with instructions on signing up – if not, contact Study Advice.
Find us on social media
Look out for our Finding Your Way tips throughout the Autumn Term on how to make the most of your Library. You’ll find them all on social media under the hashtag #FYWTips – feel free to add your own! We’re active on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram – we’d love for you to share how you’re getting on, and you can ask us questions there too!
This is one of a series of tips to help save you time and effort finding or using information
This tip was written by Learning Support Co-ordinator Sally Smith.