You say you love the Library’s refurbished Silent Study 5th Floor and both the quiet and collaborative study ares on the refurbished 2nd Floor and you want more. So you’ll love what’s planned for the Library’s 3rd and 4th Floors this summer … not to mention refurbished single-sex Ground Floor toilets and upgraded staircases! Another £2.4 million of University investment enables work to begin in earnest after exams on Monday 16 June. It is due for completion by the end of September 2014.
How will works affect me, summer 2014?
The Library remains open to provide services to Library users around works. However, please note:
- We’ve already moved some 4th Floor social sciences material this Easter. Further stock moves will take place on the 3rd and 4th Floors from June. This includes relocating the Teaching Practice Collection and music CDs to the 3rd Floor.
- Access to the 3rd Floor Arts and Humanities and 4th Floor Social Sciences material may be restricted, section by section. However we will operate a fetch and carry service where material is out-of-bounds.
- Library staff will continue to help you but based in alternative, temporary accomodation on another floor.
- Please use alternative PC and Study areas whilst Rooms 111, 110 and 109 are closed to users. Our newly refurbished 5th and 2nd Floors remain open throughout.
- Both sets of Ground Floor toilets will be closed for refurbishment, reopening eight weeks later as separate Ladies’ and Gentlemen’s conveniences, as requested by Library users. Please use alternative facilities on the Library’s 5th Floor or in the nearby HUMMS Building.
- Please use the Library’s revolving or right-hand front door. The left-hand door will be out of use whilst we work on our heating system, using an adjacent staff entrance.
- Noise: Unfortunately, making such a fantastic ‘omelette’ will require cracking eggs loudly! You will experience noise from drilling through floors and walls throughout the project, although we will try to restrict this to early mornings before 10:00.
- Alternative quiet space: Students and staff may always book rooms in other parts of the University for quiet study. At this time we envisage fewer rooms will already be engaged for teaching or exams. Contact email@example.com or ring 0118 378 6506.
- Disabled parking bays behind the Library will be moved from near the Chaplaincy to near the Cedars Hotel entrance whilst the contractors’ compound is in place.
Watch our Library homepage for summer 2014 updates on our University Library News blog or follow the Library on Twitter or Facebook. Even more Library improvements are under development for future years, including the Library’s Ground Floor and external structure.
Rachel Redrup, Library Marketing Co-ordinator