In celebration of October’s Black History Month, the Library is once again inviting University of Reading staff to suggest books, DVDs or CDs to help Library collections support a more diverse curriculum.
Suggest more diverse resources
What resources can you suggest in your specialism to represent ethnic groups, cultural diversity or geographical areas in our collections? Complete our Diversify our collections suggestion form to help us spend a special £1,000 fund, over and above resources supporting existing reading lists.
Ideally we would like you to name specific titles, but we still want to hear from you if you feel we just need more materials in a certain area. For example:
- [name] is underrepresented in your collection, can you buy more of their novels/poetry?
- there aren’t any books on the history/political situation in [country]
- can you purchase some more books on ethnic representation in higher education?
Library staff will then review submitted suggestions and organise the purchase of materials.
If you would like to suggest other items for the Library, please complete our regular book suggestion form.
Last session’s suggestions
Examples of material purchased from this fund last session include:
- Contemporary plays by women of color: an anthology
- Black masculinity on film: native sons and white lies
- Something dark
- African Americans and the classics: antiquity, abolition and activism
You can see all the Diversity fund titles purchased last session on our dedicated 2017/18 Library Diversity fund reading list
Kerry Webb, Associate Director (Academic Liaison and Support)