We asked our Musical Leaders to interview each other; read on to find out their advice to their younger selves, and the worst thing that has happened on stage!

Name: Tunde

Instruments: Voice, Piano

Degree: PhD, Biomedical Engineering

Music at Reading ensembles: Chamber Choir

7 Questions:

What has been the worst or most memorable thing that has happened during a performance?

I used to do gymnastics, and in a summer holidays music/dance camp, I decided to volunteer to do a stunt performance at the closing ceremony, using the mace. During my number I accidentally let go of one of the maces, and it flew across the  room, hitting a drum set in the corner that was ready for another performance. The noise it made fitted so well with the crescendo of the music, so it wasn’t as mortifying as it could have been, but still!

Who is your musical inspiration?

My musical icon is Tchaikovsky, I just love the Romantic era.

What inspires you to perform?

In psychology, scientists often talk about the flow or optimal experience as the source of happiness in life. I have found that I feel truly happy when I play the piano or sing, and it keeps me motivated to seek more of these experiences.

Which instrument do you wish you had learned?

Violin

What musical advice would you give to your younger self?

Practice more, and more, and more. There is something called muscle memory, and it doesn’t happen on its own.

What musical moment are you most proud of?

I am most proud of singing in the chorus of ‘Singing in the Rain’ with the Hungarian National Operetta Theatre. Not only did I have an amazing time, I got to perform with some of the greatest musical theatre names of the country.

Which three words describe you as a musician?

Theatrical, focussed, romantic