A Gateway to Europe…

Join Michaela as she takes a break from her studies at Easter and leaves her home away from home at Reading to explore more of Europe!

When you study abroad at somewhere like the University of Reading, you inadvertently discover a home away from home. At the same time, you are also inspired to leave that home and explore.

Having come from a family who has encouraged me to see the world, I took full advantage of the University of Reading’s Easter Break between spring and summer term. After my last class that Friday, I headed to London Gatwick with my weekend duffle bag to start my 24 day-long trip in Madrid. Through the Erasmus programme, I found travel partners as well as places to stay along my trip since my new friends from school live in all different countries.

14 cities, 6 countries, and 1 British Territory later, I had felt a range of emotions. Accomplished for surviving various metros in foreign languages by myself, bliss from eating delicious food, exhausting from overnight trains and endless walking, and above everything else: appreciation.

If it wasn’t for this school and in part the funding from my blog scholarship, I wouldn’t have pushed myself to see so much. This school has a unique ability to help you surface your passions and to realize everything you’re already capable of, which is something every student can benefit from.

Not only did Reading give me the courage and resources to explore so much, but it also gave me a place to miss.

By the end of my travels, I started to feel homesick for Reading and the people it brings together.