Digitising MERL’s Local Photographic Collections

Written by Danielle Mills, Digitisation/Data Officer for Reading Connections.

Local photography is one of the themes of the Reading Connections project and a large part of my role is to digitise and catalogue some of MERL’s local photographic collections. We are making these images available to view online via our catalogue Adlib to increase accessibility to these wonderful resources for local history.

I am currently digitising the Collier Collection. Phillip Osborne Collier (1881-1979) was a commercial photographer and postcard publisher working in Reading from around 1905. The collection consists of approximately 6000 glass plate negatives showing Berkshire, Hampshire and Oxfordshire from 1905 to the 1960s.

The collection is split into three sections, early (1905-mid1930s), late (mid1930s-1960s) and miscellaneous plates (1905-1960s). I have scanned and catalogued the early Reading plates (P DX323 PH1/E150) and I am now making my way through the early series alphabetically by place name, from Abingdon to Yattendon. Whilst scanning Ascot negatives I noticed an image of the racecourse dated 1911-1912, and as Royal Ascot is this week I thought I’d share it!

Ascot Racecourse, 1911-1912 (P DX323 PH1/E6/10)

P_DX323_PH1-E6-10_CROPPED_500px_WATERMARKED

Enlarged section of the image above to show spectators and police officers in more detail

Whether it’s a 1905 snapshot of the road that I drive down to work everyday, the beautiful architecture of churches and buildings in Reading, or people in Berkshire caught in front of the camera lens whilst going about their lives, each day I am coming across amazing images and I hope to share more of these with you over the coming year.

3 thoughts on “Digitising MERL’s Local Photographic Collections

1. Re the Collier Archive. I am trying to help the curator of the King’s Own Museum in Lancaster as I live locally and he assisted me on a project that I worked on re my father’s wartime experiences.

He is seeking photographs of WW1 King’s Own Lancaster on the GWR in 1914. He has a good collection of images of 5th Battalion but very little on their 4th Battalion who I understand arrived at Slough in August 1914 and guarded the section of railway from Paddington to Twyford (some say Maidenhead).

2. Thank you for your comment. I’ll pass your question to our photographic assistant, who may be able to help you.