Get on your feet – On your feet Britain Day is April 29th. The aim is to raise awareness of the ill effects of sedentary work.
Prolonged sitting can increase the risk of the following:
- Lower back pain
- Cardiovascular disease
- High cholesterol
- Type 2 diabetes
The campaign encourage employees to look at how they can sit less at work. These are some of the ideas you could try at work:
- Take regular breaks form sitting by standing every 30 minutes
- Take the stairs instead of the lift
- Standing up or pace while on the phone
- Walk over to speak to colleagues instead of emailing.
- Move your rubbish bin away from your desk
- Limit the amount of time you look at your screen
- Hold a standing or walking meeting.
As part of the campaign there will be two lunchtime walks to invite you to move away from your desk. The walks will be at 12.00 and 1.00, and will be for approximately 25 minutes. If you are interested please meet in front of the library . For more information please contact Dawn Grout or Alan Twyford.