The best Christmas films to watch this year

The number of Christmas films available can be overwhelming and it can be difficult to know which ones are worth watching and which ones aren’t. That’s why I have decided to create my top 10 list of Christmas films to watch this year.

1. Love Actually – I mean what can I say other than it’s brilliant. If you like a rom-com this is the perfect choice for you
  2. The Polar Express – I reserve this film for the 24th December because it’s so magical. Every year I watch it it gets better. Suitable for children and adults alike this film will always be a hit.
  3. The Santa Claus 1,2 and 3 – If you haven’t seen any of these you are missing out. They are the ‘classic’ Christmas film. A great one to watch again and again every year.
  4. How the Grinch Stole Christmas – Dr Seuss is a genius and this film does not disappoint. If you think that you can’t be won over by the green Grinch I would have to suggest that you are mistaken.
  5. The Nativity – Absolutely hilarious with some brilliant music that you will be singing to yourself long after the film has stopped. Although I warn you of the 2nd and 3rd films, some films are not meant to have sequels.
  6. Miracle on 34th Street – If any film could make me believe in Santa Claus this is it. It really gives a new twist to the idea of Christmas and for that reason alone it is worth watching.
  7. Elf – A personal favourite of mine. Will Ferrell is hilarious as the main character in this light-hearted comedy.
  8. The Nightmare before Christmas – Directed by the genius Tim Burton in his classic style. It’s a combination of a Halloween film and a Christmas film and I can promise that you haven’t ever seen anything like it before. If you like Coraline then you will love this film.
  9. A Christmas Carol – A brilliant film about the true meaning of Christmas. If you’re fed up of the many Santa Claus themed films then this is for you.
  10. The Holiday – Another romance starring some great actors. If you’re fed up of the endless list of children’s Christmas films then I would recommend this one.

In my attempt to limit this list to 10 I have had to miss out some brilliant films like The Muppet’s Christmas Carol and Home Alone. My one piece of advice when looking for Christmas Films is to not avoid the old ones. A lot of the time they are better than the new films.

Written by Amelia Dinsdale

Student Services