How I plan to spend my Christmas break

How I plan to spend my Christmas break

With the Christmas holidays fast approaching, our campus is now abuzz with festive lights and people discussing what they are looking forward to doing over the break. Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, I’m sure you are in some way looking forward to having a whole month off university. Personally, I have a variety of things planned out that I hope to do at some point over the next few weeks. Take a look at what I’m going to be doing below, and maybe even find some inspiration for similar things you’d like to do with your time.

Get on top of my workload

Unfortunately, for many of us this is more of a necessity than a choice. I am currently in my third year, and if I didn’t dedicate a (very large) chunk of my time to studying over Christmas, this would cause me some serious issues in January. That said, I am looking forward to making progress with my work, as this can bring a lovely sense of fulfilment. The projects I plan to work on are an essay on left-wing vs. right-wing newspapers’ attitudes to vegans, revision for an exam, a master’s application, and, of course, the dreaded dissertation…

Spend time with my family (and cat)

I haven’t been home since Reading Week, so I am beyond excited to see my family. The family member I am most eager to see is my cat (sorry, parents). He is ginger and goes by His Royal Highness, Prince Catkin – yes, that’s his actual name.

Volunteering

I also plan to schedule time in my diary to complete some online training I am currently doing in order to be a mental health volunteer. The good thing about volunteering online is that you can do it from the comfort of your bed. This makes for a particularly cosy winter day.

Writing articles

As a member of The Spark newspaper, I love writing. As well as editing all the different sections of the next edition of the newspaper, I will also be writing lots of new articles, including one for my study tips column. Reading The Spark is also a fun way to spend your free time, so if you’d like to check out the website you can do so at https://sparknewspaper.co.uk.

Have a warm bath

One of the things I miss the most whilst at uni is the ability to spend a good hour soaking up the warmth and bliss that a hot bath brings. If I’m feeling particularly indulgent, I may even treat myself to some Lush bath bombs to enjoy with it.

Eat lots of Christmas food

Of course, no Christmas would be complete without indulging in tonnes of delicious festive treats. Since I have recently gone vegan, I am buzzing to try my hand at baking with some new, alternative recipes for all sorts of foods including pies, puddings and even pigs in blankets.

How do you plan to spend your Christmas break? Will you be doing some of the same things as me, or something completely different? Let me know in the comments!

Written by Sabita Burke

Student Services