The Library will be launching their new, improved catalogue on Monday 2 July. The new catalogue, called Enterprise, replaces Unicorn as the primary way to find the books and journals you need in the Library.
Month: June 2012
We are looking for individuals to join the Student Team to help new students during Freshers’ Week 1-5 October 2012.
Work will involve:
- production of access cards
- assisting with events and enquiries in the Palmer Building
- campus tours showing students around the Whiteknights campus
- assisting support staff and students during the enrolment process
Experience and personal attributes
- Approachable and helpful manner
- Ability to communicate with students from diverse backgrounds and nationalities
- Good knowledge of the University of Reading; preference will be given to current Reading students (undergraduate or postgraduate)
- Basic knowledge of PCs and data screens for those assisting with enrolment/access card processes
- Recent experience of campus tours and/or Open Days desirable
Hours of work and training
- Dates during Freshers’ Week by negotiation (not everyone will be needed all week)
- Hours of work variable during the week, and by negotiation (fewer students will be required towards the end of the week)
- A compulsory half-day training session is scheduled for 14:00-16:00 on Tuesday
25 September 2012.
Rate of pay
£6.50 per hour; payment will be made direct into a bank account. Training will be paid at the same rate. If invited to interview students must provide a National Insurance number and evidence of their entitlement to work in the UK.
Applications and more information
Please request an application form from Richard Sandford, Student Communications Officer, via email email@example.com.
The closing date for applications is 17:00 Friday 22 June 2012.
Short interviews will be held before the end of the Summer Term.
- Download the Job Description (PDF – 64KB)
- Download the Application Form (Word – 30KB)
Calling all cyclists and potential cyclists. In collaboration with the Reading Cycle Challenge we have arranged for a day of cycling related events to take place on Whiteknights Campus on Monday 18 June.
The main aim of the Reading Cycle Challenge is getting as many people as possible to cycle for at least 10 minutes over the three weeks between 11 June and 1 July. There are prizes to be won for new cyclists, the people who encouraged them to start, and competitions between workplaces and departments in Reading. If you already cycle, then great! Please register and help us win the Challenge. It’s all based on participation, so we need to get as many people taking part as possible to win prizes. Encourage your friends and colleagues to get on a bike!
Please visit www.readingcyclechallenge.org.uk to sign up as part of the University of Reading and help us do well in the competitions. You may want to register your department to take part if it isn’t already.
On Monday 18 June the following events will be taking place in the quad outside the Palmer building, between 10am and 3pm. If the weather is poor some of them may be held inside the Palmer Foyer.
- Free granola snack for everyone cycling to work or trying a bike on the day.
- Dr Bike – get your bike serviced for free, you just pay for the parts if necessary. Please arrive early for this as it can be very popular.
- Have a go on a bike – we will have a range of bikes for you to try out. If you do just 10 minutes and sign up on the website you will be part of the Reading Cycle Challenge.
- Cycle your own fruit smoothie.
- Information stand with maps, leaflets and further cycling information.
The 16-24 June is also national Bikeweek, see www.bikeweek.org.uk for details of guided rides and other events being held in the Reading area.
The re-development of the Bridges Hall site was granted planning consent by Wokingham Borough Council on 4 April 2012. The new Bridges Hall will include integrated self-catering facilities in accommodation arranged in blocks of cluster flats and townhouses, a centralised facilities management hub comprising launderette, warden’s flat, ancillary offices and reception area, covered cycle stores and a new electricity substation.
University Partnerships Programme (UPP), the University’s accommodation partner, is inviting local residents and other interested parties to attend a presentation on the forthcoming re-development of the Bridges Hall of residence.
The presentation will provide details on the construction works and programme, which will get underway this summer, and will also provide an opportunity for you to discuss the development with members of staff from UPP, the University of Reading and our building contractor, Brookfield Multiplex.
The presentation will be held at:-
Wessex Hall, University of Reading, Whiteknights Road, Reading RG6 6BQ
Wednesday 13 June, 13:15 & 19:00.