Update 07:15, 1 July
Whiteknights campus is open today (Tuesday 1 July) as water supplies have returned. Please come onto campus as usual.
However, please note:
- There remains a risk of further interruption to normal work. As a precautionary measure
- Experiments or other activity that would be affected by another water failure should be postponed. This includes any experiments that are reliant on water for safety (even if only for normal handwashing protocols).
- Water was turned off in a number of buildings to prevent damage, but it should be back on by 08.30. If youo arrive on campus early, you may find your building is still without water temporarily.
Thank you very much for your cooperation during yesterday’s disruption. We will continue to keep you updated.
Update:16:30, 30 June
Water supplies are returning to Whiteknights campus.
It therefore looks likely that Whiteknights campus will be open tomorrow (Tuesday 1 July).
Thank you very much for your cooperation during today’s disruption. We will continue to keep you updated.
There is a major loss of the mains water supply to the entire Whiteknights Campus this morning.
This is due to a fault in the wider network affecting thousands of properties in the Lower Earley area.
Thames Water says its engineers are working to restore supplies as quickly as possible, but it can currently give no clear estimate as to when it will be fully restored.
We have considered our options carefully. There are only limited tank supplies in most of the University’s buildings. Without water for sanitation or drinking, a decision has been taken to close Whiteknights campus with immediate effect.
London Road and Greenlands campuses have water and remain open.
- If you are based at Whiteknights please make your way home without rushing.
- Please ensure all taps are turned off.
- All lab work should stop. If you have any experiments that are water-critical they need to be halted when safe to do so.
What happens tomorrow morning?
(See update below)
Thames Water is currently unable to say when service will resume. Please do not come onto Whiteknights campus unless you have confirmation that campus is open. Please check the this blog and Twitter (@UniofReading or @UniRdg_Student) before leaving home.
What should I do if I live in Halls?
Please go to Halls and speak to Hall staff. Please make every effort to conserve water. Please monitor this site for updates.
What if I live out but my house has no water?
Are Part 1 exam results still coming out tomorrow?
Yes: they will be available via the RISISweb portal at 12.30 (ie half past noon).