Student Services News

News from the Student Services Centre (Carrington Building)

Postgraduate Experience Surveys

We’re keen to make sure postgraduate students have the best possible experience while studying at the University of Reading. To do that we need to know what you think we are doing well and what we can do better. To this end we regularly take part in the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES) and Postgraduate Research Experience Survey (PRES). If you’re thinking about taking part this year, these are the answers to some of the questions students often ask:

What are they?

They are national surveys of postgraduate students inviting them to comment on their course and experience. The questionnaires take around 20 minutes to complete.

Why should I take part?

The surveys are your chance to tell us your thoughts about your programme and studies. It is also your opportunity to tell us what you have liked about your time here and things you feel could be improved.

What happens to the results?

Your feedback is important.  Over 100 universities and colleges take part. This means we can compare your experience against similar postgraduates at other institutions to see if we are supporting your learning as we should. We use the findings to improve our courses and the learning experience for future students.

What do they cover?

The survey will ask you about things like:  motivations for taking the programme, depth of learning, organisation, and professional development. It will also include a few extra questions about issues that are particularly relevant to us and to students at Reading.

What do I need to do?

You will receive an email with a link to the questionnaire relevant to you during the week commencing 13 April. Simply click on the link and enter in your username and password (also in the email) and complete the online form.

Deadlines

The Postgraduate Research Experience Survey closes on 14 May.

The deadline for the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey has been extended to 18 June.

Are they anonymous?

The surveys are anonymous and the University will not be able to identify you. However, you are provided with a username to ensure that only registered students can complete the surveys.

Want to know more?

If you are unsure about anything to do with the survey, or have any difficulty, please see your course or programme leader, or contact us the following contacts:

PTES (Taught Postgraduates): Maxine Davies, Planning and Strategy on 0118 378 6972 or by email at planningandstrategy@reading.ac.uk

PRES (Doctoral Researchers): Chris Robson, Graduate School on 0118 378 6169 or by email at c.robson@reading.ac.uk

Previous

All the Essentials

Next

Quiet Period

7 Comments

1. Barbara Berrington

I have been a very happy part-time PG student for several years but the closure of my department [History of Art] without any consultation whatsoever with the PG students concerned – and contrary to all academic good sense has been both disturbing and alienating.

The economic necessities supposedly driving such measures are damaging to research, to interdisciplinarity within the University and ultimately to the welfare of the whole of our society.

The lack of consultation shows an unjustifiable arrogance on the part of Senior Management.

• Hi Barbara, thank you for taking the time to comment here. The decision to close or relocate Departments is never an easy one. Student numbers on the History of Art courses have been in steady decline for a number of years. The University made the decision to realign the Department’s activities and restructure to find a new home for the courses – as such the Department’s activities were first placed with Fine Art and then found a more fitting home in the History Department. These initial moves have helped foster some degree of interdisciplinary research, but not to the extent that had been hoped.
      Whilst History of Art no longer exists as a Department, and the decision to halt recruitment on its courses has been taken, we will still be running modules in the History of Art for interested students. Although we are no longer recruiting students on History of Art courses we will be ensuring that those students already enrolled get the chance to complete their course.
      The decisions about History of Art activities were taken as part of the University’s formal Periodic Review process and other review processes. As part of these reviews student feedback is sought and considered.
      I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your course and hope that the message above goes some way to assuring you that future students will be able to access History of Art as part of a broader curriculum.
      If you have any further comments or queries then please do not hesitate in contacting me at r.j.sandford@reading.ac.uk
      Richard

2. Shuang Yang

I believe that experience in University of Readi is generally nice, and it is going to finish with 2 assignments and a final dissertations left. I really got a lot of wonderful findings from a new world as an international student, but I am not native speaker, it is also a challenge for me to attain all lectures of a module with only a week or complete the relevant assignment within a few weeks. Actually, before coming to Reading, I had given up the last chance to continue study in University of Sheffield after I pass with merit from the Sheffield International College, I think my decision is worthwhile after my nearly one year here.All in all,I will recommend the course of Reading University to my friends who want to study overseas in the future, and I sincerly expect you can adjust the arrangements of modules for students’ better outcomes, the mode of one week, one module done is very tie and difficult for my Chinese classmates and me

3. Jinxiang Chen

This was a wonderful and challenged year for me to complete my postgraduate degree here. The university is beautiful and the local people are so nice and peaceful. Highly recommended to study here.

4. Charles Ntumwa

If I could make a comprehensive study of the differences between Reading University and the University of Oxford, I would then be in a position to make a logical comment. Without these details, I am afraid I find myself unable to make any sensible comment.