This month, PC Julie is back to talk about the importance of consent.

Hello all,

It has been a while since my last blog. I hope you all had a very enjoyable and safe Easter and now back to University for the final push until summer!

I know you will be launched into ‘quiet time’ as this is the term for exams, so good luck.

My blog this month is about CONSENT. This is a big issue, and it is vital to understand that sex without consent is rape. Here are some important points to remember when you are confirming whether or not you have consent from somebody:

• The person seeking or initiating sex is responsible for getting consent.
  • Ask yourself if the other person is capable of giving consent – if they are on drugs or too drunk, asleep or unconscious they cannot choose.
  • Check the other person’s body language to see if they are eager and comfortable.
  • You can ask them if they are okay.
  • If they seem unhappy, or you are not sure they are consenting,
  • Silence, or the absence of a ‘no’, does not guarantee somebody is consenting.
  • Consent can be withdrawn at any time.

Think about your future, your lifestyle, your friends and family. Anything you do has an impact on others and can ruin lives, including your own.

If you wish to talk about any issues, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me.  As you know, I am your Police Officer for the University and I will make myself available to support you if needed. You can get my details from the Security Team.

For more advice and information on consent, you can visit consentiseverything.com.

Once again, for those of you who are taking exams, good luck, try not to stress and have plenty of breaks when you are studying (this is the mum coming out in me!)