Summer student stories!

Over the next few days we’ll be sharing some tips from our students about how they spend their summer holidays. We’re starting off with some last minute tips from year 3 student, Holly…

Do something you enjoy. I love watching tennis so got a ground pass for a day at the Wimbledon Championships

As a student, the summer holidays are arguably the best time of year. The weather picks up and you have no looming essay deadlines, exams to revise for, or lectures to go to. However, the summer is also a valuable time for us to gain some work experience, make a bit of money, or give back to our community or causes that we are passionate about.

If you have extensive summer plans already then that’s great! But as a final year undergraduate, I have learnt how to manage my summer holiday time wisely over the years and here are my top tips for you this summer.

1. Take a minute to think about your passions. Whether that’s sports, art or film; make sure you do a little of what you enjoy.
  2. Take up something new. The summer is a great time to try out something new. For example, join a gym, learn to cook a new dish, read a new book or get creative.
  3. Think about your CV. See if you can pick up any work experience, a job to get a bit of cash or do some volunteer work. These all add to your CV, and show that you have taken some initiative over the summer holiday. Double bonus if you can combine your passions with some work or volunteering. As a geography student, I have always been passionate about the environment, so I spent some time volunteering for my local council to raise awareness of the importance of recycling in my local area. This was both interesting for me and added something a bit different to my CV. Some useful sites to find jobs and/or volunteer work can be found at the end of this article.
  4. Plan for the future. The summer holidays are the perfect time to plan what you want to achieve in the next year or so, and think more about career aspirations. Once you have a couple of goals in mind, work towards achieving them over the summer.
  5. Don’t forget that this is your summer holiday so make sure you take some time out to relax before the next busy academic year.