This week is National Chocolate Week, so we’re going to be sharing some of the recipes you love to make with this ever popular confectionery!
First up is 3rd year MSci Psychology student Kate with her ‘dreamy chocolate mousse’…
Who really needs an excuse to have chocolate, but with this mousse no excuse is necessary. This mousse makes the world go around for my friends and family and always goes within 5 seconds flat of being on the table.
It is quick and easy. You can make it in 5 minutes and then leave it in the fridge while you go finish your work, knowing you have a beautiful treat when you’ve finished.
I apologise in advance about the washing up!
- 300 g good-quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids) , broken into small pieces. Use Milk if you don’t like Dark Chocolate.
- Sea salt
- 8 large free-range eggs
- 100 g caster sugar
- 300 ml double cream
- 2 tablespoons good-quality cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
Serves 10. Half ingredients for smaller portions.
- – Put all the chocolate and a pinch of salt in a heatproof bowl and place it over a pan of simmering water. Leave to melt and stir from time to time.
– Make sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl.
- -While the chocolate is melting away, separate the eggs. Whites in one bowl and yolks in another. Add the sugar to the bowl of yolks. Beat until the sugar has dissolved and is silky smooth.
-Whisk the egg whites separately with a pinch of salt until they are soft peaks. You Should be able to hold the bowl upside down above your head.
-In another bowl beat the cream until it is slightly thick and just whipped.
(Told you there would be lots of washing up)
- When the chocolate has melted, take the bowl of the pan.
– Add cocoa powder to the bowl of yolks and mix. Also, add the Amaretto now if you want (3 shots, Max)
-Tip the cream in and mix again. Then fold in the dreamy melted chocolate until all combined.
-Finish by tipping the egg whites in, folding from the outside in a figure of 8! Your looking for an even colour and a smooth consistency.
- Believe me, it may look a bit dodgy and rustic now but just you wait! Put it into one big bowl or separate it into little glasses.
- Place the Mousse in the fridge for 1-2 Hours
- Take out, add a dusting of more cocoa powder as you can never have too much chocolate and enjoy!