Reading University Tennis Club

HOLLY, A THIRD YEAR HUMAN GEOGRAPHY STUDENT, SHARES HER EXPERIENCE OF THE UNIVERSITY TENNIS CLUB…

Before starting this term, I decided that I would try out the Reading University Tennis Club. I used to play tennis a lot, and I enjoy watching it. With the opening of the indoor courts in the dome, I was motivated to get back into playing. So I turned up at the free taster session for beginners and intermediates during Freshers Week on Thursday evening at the courts on campus.

The session was very popular and consisted of different tennis games such as round the world and champions. The session was social and friendly as everyone chatted to each other. This session wasn’t judged on ability so was perfect for me to build up my confidence on the court again.

At the end of the session the committee did a wrap up talk and explained how the sessions will run in the future and how much membership is. If you’re a member of SportsPark, being a member of the tennis club is only £8 more a month which can be added to your direct debit gym membership. The membership allows you to book and go to any tennis session for free, book outside courts for free, book inside courts at a discounted rate and book tennis lessons at a discount too! So you definitely get your money’s worth!

The tennis club run sessions for all abilities from never played before to highly advanced.

The sessions are:

Student beginners Thursday 6-7pm

Student advanced Thursday 7-8pm

Open to all Saturday 10-12

Open to all Sunday 7-9pm

You book into the sessions online or at SportsPark to secure a place and registers are taken.

The club also run regular socials, such as themed events or bar crawls.

The committee for this year is:

President: Vicky Wild
Vice President: Rob Ventin
Treasurer: Frank Zhao
Secretary: Chrissi Ayre
Men’s 1st team captain: Sam Kingston
Men’s 2nd team captain: Tom Sage
Women’s captain: Holly Cottingham
Social Secs: Alex Taggart and Charlie Van Ders
Welfare: Emily Bunton

For more information, check out The Facebook group at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/100901283308695/

Or message one of the committee and they will be happy to help!