R.U. Not Drinking Much? Society

THIRD YEAR BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES STUDENT, CHUI-YAN CHEUNG, TELLS US MORE ABOUT HER EXPERIENCES IN THE R.U. NOT DRINKING MUCH? SOCIETY…

What is it about?

The R.U. Not Drinking Much? Society is a place with no pressure to drink alcohol as there are many people who just want to have a good time together without drinking being the main event. This society is open to everyone regardless of whether they drink alcohol a lot or not. They have a welcoming environment, which lets you socialise in and have fun at their events. It provides alternative entertainment for people who cannot or do not want to drink alcohol for whatever reason even if it’s just for one night. Therefore, for those who drink, it lets you save money on nights out that would have normally been spent on alcohol but still lets you have a great night.

My experience

I have been a part of the R.U. Not Drinking Much? Society since my first year at university and it’s been great so far. I am very comfortable in this society and was happy to meet other people who do not drink a lot of alcohol like me. At their events, I always had an enjoyable time since everyone there is really friendly and they all get along with each other. I like their events and have made lots of wonderful memories. I’m sure the other members would agree that the society is a lovely place to be and hang out with your friends. They have a very relaxed atmosphere, so you’d be warmly welcomed to any of their events even if you just come along to a few of them.

The events

The society has regular events every academic term, usually once or twice a week. They are typically held on a Monday or Friday evening on campus. Some examples of the wide variety of events they organise include board games nights, film nights and off-campus trips. Most of the society’s events are completely free to attend as well. Therefore, if you haven’t already tried out this society, you should definitely come along to one of their events. You can even invite your friends and family who are not a part of the University since the society has free membership for students and non-students. There is also an optional donation membership for anyone who would like to donate and contribute towards the society’s funding for their events. So, if you are interested and have some free time, you can find their events via their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/notdrinkingmuch/