NOZOMI, A THIRD YEAR FILM STUDENT, SHARES A FAVOURITE RECIPE…
Recipe: Brown Rice Bowl with Lentils, Caramelized Onions & Fried Egg
One of the many survival methods you will pick up whilst at university is cooking (unless you’re in catered halls of course). This is a simple and nutritious recipe I’ve been cooking for a short while now and I really enjoy. Feel free to add things to this as well as it’s a pretty customisable meal.
Brown basmati rice
Yellow onions, thinly sliced
Garlic clove, minced
Parsley leaves, finely chopped
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Add the brown rice, lentils, and a hefty pinch of salt, and return to a boil. Cook until the rice and lentils are done.
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil over.
Add in the sliced onions and cook until deeply browned.
Add small amounts of water to prevent onions from burning and to caramelise.
When the onions are deeply golden and almost finished, add in the minced garlic and cook.
Add other chosen vegetables and/or meats accordingly
- Once ready, put half the mixture into the brown rice and lentils bowl. Reserve the rest for serving (or even the following day!)
- Wipe the pan used to cook clean, lightly grease with olive oil, and return to heat. Crack an egg into the pan and cook to your desired doneness.
Sprinkle the top of the egg with salt, pepper, and a dash of paprika.
- Once done, place the fried egg into the bowl.
Garnish with the remaining caramelized onions, garlic and other chosen vegetables and/or meats.
(recipe adapted from http://www.thekitchn.com/ )