Rebecca’s Christmas Fudge Recipes

SECOND YEAR ACCOUNTING AND BUSINESS STUDENT, REBECCA, SHARES HER FESTIVE FUDGE RECIPES…

When thinking about Christmas inspired recipes, I came to the realisation that just about anything indulgent and comforting, to me, counts as a Christmas food! Aside from the classic roast dinners and mince pies, at this time of year anything warming or laden with chocolate has me feeling festive. Here I have two fudge recipes, the first adapted from the side of carnation condensed milk tin, you can literally buy all these ingredients in the Co-op on campus, making it super easy. The second recipe is slightly healthier, I found this recipe somewhere online last year and have adapted it using cacao powder rather than cocoa to be even more chocolatey, I make it far too often and I always switch up my toppings.

Simple Carnation Fudge

Ingredients:

1 can of condensed milk (I always use carnation which is just less than 400g)

150ml milk

450g Demerara sugar

115g butter

Method:

1. Place all the ingredients into a large pan, preferably non-stick, this makes it so much easier (especially washing up afterward)
  2. Melt over a low heat, until all the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring continuously. (warning: the fudge will be very hot)
  3. Drop a small amount of the mixture into a jug of very cold water, a soft ball of fudge should form if the mixture is ready. If not allow to simmer for a couple more minutes and test again.
  4. Remove the pan from the heat, and vigorously beat the mixture for around 10 minutes, until the fudge becomes thick and starts to set. (this is a great arm workout, and will burn so many calories you can eat another piece!)
  5. Place into a lined tinned, and set in the fridge until firm. At this point you can add toppings of your choice, such as: crushed nuts, a layer of melted chocolate, a drizzle of peanut butter or sea salt.

Healthy Chocolate Fudge

Ingredients:

1 cup pitted dates

½ cup tahini (sesame seed paste)

½ ground almonds

¼ cocoa/cacao powder

a couple of tbsp. water

pinch of salt

[if you don’t have a cup measurement, use any standard mug, ensuring the ratios of all ingredients remain the same, you may need to add more/less water].

Method:

1. In a food processor, combine the dates and tahini, until it forms a paste
  2. Add the almond flour and cacao until completely combined
  3. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, until it forms a ball, and does not stick to you hands
  4. Place into a lined tinned, and set in the freezer until firm. At this point you can add toppings of your choice, such as: crushed nuts, a layer of melted chocolate, a drizzle of peanut butter or sea salt.