Interview with my Personal Tutor

At the University, Personal Tutors are available to meet with you to discuss how you are getting on with your course. I’ve had a very positive experience with my personal tutor, and I would recommend to first year students to build up a good rapport with your tutor, and an honest relationship, because there is nothing worse than bottling things up. You shouldn’t be embarrassed to say you’re struggling, because your tutor is there to help you. I caught up with Ilan, my Personal Tutor to find out more about his role.

What is your role as a personal tutor?
Ilan: My tutoring role is a general pastoral role, to support students and make sure they are happy and enjoying university life. It could be helping them through any problems with halls of residence or renting a house, anything that they may be anxious or worried about during their time at Reading.

What can you help students with?
I: If they’re stressed or worried about anything, I can talk to their course tutor, or if it’s issues relating to halls, I can find out who the relevant person is and pass on the concerns. If they’re feeling lonely, I can encourage them to join in with university events, sports, clubs and societies. If a student has a disability, I can also sign post students to where they can get information and support.

How often can students meet with you and for how long?
I: Once every term, for one hour. Although my students can contact me, anytime to request another tutorial.

Is there a procedure to go through with booking a tutorial, or do tutors contact students?
I: I email out the times I’m available and then students book directly with me, the time they would like to have their tutorial. It works on a first come, first served basis.

Can students choose who their personal tutor is?
I: Generally, when a new cohort of students start, tutors are allocated with some students. Students don’t get to pick who their personal tutor is, although you can request a re-allocation if your relationship is not working as well as it should.

What else do you do alongside your personal tutor role?
I: I lecture on three courses; BA Theatre Arts, Education and Deaf Studies (TAEDS), the new BA Education Studies, and BSL (British Sign Language) – a new module on Whiteknights.

Thank you Ilan!

To find out more about personal tutors, click here.