Smiles All Around! International Day Of Happiness 20th March 2018

GEOGRAPHY STUDENT, JACK, TELLS US WHAT MAKES HIM HAPPY WHEN AT UNIVERSITY…

With International Day of Happiness finally here, I thought I’d share 5 things that make me happy at University!

• Campus – If there’s one thing I love to do when I’m dealing with a lot of stress and pressure from exam deadlines and a busy schedule, it’s taking half an hour to simply breathe, relax and enjoy our wonderful Green Flag campus. There’s nothing quite like strolling through the Harris gardens listening to birdsong and taking a moment to appreciate the vivid colour and beauty of nature.

• Societies – Societies are a great way to find a group of likeminded people and pursue something you love, and for me that’s radio! As a presenter on Junction11 Radio I get to broadcast the songs I love to the world and interacting with listeners gives me a real buzz! No matter what point in the year it is there’s still time to try something new!

• RUSU – Cheese room anyone? Aside from my favourite nights out of the week, RUSU has amazing facilities including the Stephen Lawrence Media Centre and some great places to get food and drink. Personally, I love making time to play a quick tournament of pool in Mojo’s with their sharing plate of Nachos. As well as pool and Nachos, RUSU is also home to something else that makes me happy – COFFEE!

• Campus Jobs – Work isn’t often described as something that makes you happy but I really enjoy the work I’ve managed to find through Campus Jobs. As a Student Ambassador and Communications Ambassador, every day I work is different. I could be teaching year 6 how to programme robots one day and writing a blog another; the breadth is really invigorating.

• Bagel Man – Now here’s something I’m sure we can all agree on! Bagel Man just does make me happy, no matter what mood I’m in, having a chat to the most sociable man on Earth never fails to put me in a good mood. Oh, and his amazing bagels and milkshakes probably have something to do with it too…

So, this International Day of Happiness, make sure you find time to do something that makes you happy!

Remember if you’re feeling low the University has some fantastic counselling and wellbeing services so don’t deal with it alone, reach out and the University will be there to support you.