MSC MANAGEMENT STUDENT, HOLLY, SHARES SOME IDEAS ON HOW TO CELEBRATE MOTHER’S DAY THIS YEAR…
Mother’s Day in the UK this year is Sunday 11th March, which is fast approaching! Don’t worry if you haven’t thought of what to do or get yet as I have a few ideas here for you, no matter what your budget is.
The origin of Mother’s Day in the UK is from Christianity, where traditionally, Christians would visit their ‘mother church’ on this day. This inevitably became an event where families reunited when children who were working away from home returned to visit their mother church. This reunion of the family and the occasion of children spending time with their mothers has changed the concept of Mother’s Day in the UK over time, as it is now a universal celebration of Mothers across the country that everyone enjoys.
If you are stuck for ideas of how to celebrate Mother’s Day, whether you are together or apart, I have some great ideas for you below:
- Make a card – homemade items are a great way to show that you care, and all you need is some paper and few coloured pens to get creative
- Flowers – you could pick up flowers at your local supermarket or order from a flower delivery store where you can have them delivered straight to her door. M&S flower delivery have some great options, as does Interflora
- Cooking – another homemade gift idea is to bake a cake or sweet treat that you know your Mum likes, or you could even offer to cook her dinner. This can be something you do for her, or you can enjoy doing together
- Card and a candle – this idea is a classic Mother’s Day gift that won’t break the bank. You can get large candles from Ikea for £1.75. If you want to spend a bit more, John Lewis have an excellent range of luxury candles
- Perfume – This again is one that you can work to your own budget and can be extra special as it is personal. Boots have a sale on some perfumes for Mother’s Day so see if your Mum’s favourite is one of the selected lines reduced.
- Take her out somewhere – Another favourite gift for many on Mother’s Day is taking their Mum out for coffee, brunch or lunch. Many restaurants have a special Mother’s Day Menu and deals, for example, Pizza Express restaurants are doing 3 courses and glass of prosecco for £17.95 per person. Remember to book a table if you choose to take your Mum out to a restaurant to avoid disappointment.
This year for Mother’s Day I am taking the train home to see my Mum and I am going to buy her favourite flowers. Happy Mother’s Day!