How i’m making the most of my final term at uni

Theatre, arts and deaf studies student, Alexander, tells us about what he’ll be getting up to during the last few weeks of his time at the University of Reading…

We’re halfway through the summer term and for many of you (like me) this will be your final term here! You probably will have mixed feelings about this – I know I certainly do! My three years at Reading have whizzed by and I can’t believe it’s nearly over, but here is what I’m doing to make the most of my final term…

Careers prep. I have attended the Careers Centre a couple of times recently. The first was a 15 minute ‘CV clinic’ appointment, where I was given a number of useful hints and tips on improving my CV. The second was a 30-minute appointment to address questions and concerns I had regarding job-hunting and receive feedback on speculative letter recently written. I’ve also attended a ‘finalist careers hacks’ event, which was also really useful. I recently attended the Reading Job Fair, where I spoke to a number of employers, had a number of interesting conversations and received further feedback on my CV with a careers adviser. I have started to apply for jobs and I’m finding it an interesting process and have come across some exciting roles.

Volunteering. I’ve always loved volunteering in a variety of establishments. You get to meet new people, gain new skills and learn a lot. It’s always really rewarding knowing that you’re helping a company or charity, and it looks great on your CV Currently I’m volunteering for the Rising Sun Arts Centre and Christians Against Poverty at Network Vineyard Church. The great thing about volunteering is you usually only need to give up a few hours on an ad hoc basis. If you have some free time this term, find out what opportunities are available across Reading clicking here.

Preparing for graduation. I’ve registered to graduate and booked tickets and now waiting for further details. I’m very excited to graduate on 4th July (but not liking the uncertainty of what’s going to come next!!) Did you know that all students graduating this year (July and December) will be eligible for free gown hire?!

Returning library loans. Time to take back all those books I’ve hoarded over the last few weeks and make sue I’ve paid any fines incurred! Click here for info on returning books.

Reflecting on my time at Reading. I have been reflecting on my time here, and thinking about how much I have learnt and developed, personally and academically – which is a real confidence booster and helps with career prep.

If you have any ideas, hints or tips, post a comment below. I hope you have an enjoyable and productive term and also get a chance to relax at times. Good luck!