Top 10 things to do in your first five weeks

Student Hannah shares her thoughts on how to make the most of your first 5 weeks…

1. Go to the library…    

I figured I should begin with something academic as you have chosen to come to University! No, but seriously, even if you just walk into the library and have a wander, it’s good to just get your bearings

1. Join a society/Go to a taster session…

A great way to make friends and do something you love to go alongside your studies!

1. Cook a proper meal (with your flatmates?)…

Trust me, I know its tempting yo just eat Pot Noodles and pizza, we’ve all been there (especially me), but there’s nothing better than a proper home-cooked meal, especially if you’ve had help from your flatmates.

1. Go into town… 

Self-explanatory really, Reading is your home for the next 3 / 4 years – go and explore! On the 2nd October, The Oracle holds ‘Student Sessions’, where retailers give students exclusive discounts – definitely worth checking out!

1. Register with a doctor

Seems like a pain, but fresher’s flu is real and so is illness, better to know there’s always somewhere you can go!

1. Get a TOTUM card

The new NUS card, its gets you discounts at loads of retailers and cheaper entry into Union – what more could you want!?

1. Explore our campus(‘s)…  

I mean, it’s literally award-winning… The Harris Garden is one of it’s best kept, not so secret, secrets! Oh and we have amazing bars on all of our campus’ if you fancy a tipple…

1. Go to Café Yolk

Are you a breakfast/brunch/lunch kind of person? Love good food or a good Instagram? Look no further than Cafe Yolk!