Feminism for All!

Liam gives us an introduction to the University’s Feminist Society.

Hey guys, I hope you are all well! Today I wanted to tell you about the University’s Feminist Society, the ways in which the Society has made me a better person, and why you should join!

So what actually is the University’s Feminist Society?

FemSoc was re-established in 2018 after being inactive for two years, and their welcomed return marks the centenary of women gaining the right to vote in the United Kingdom.

They host a wide array of events—which includes lectures, debates, socials, etc.—that aim to create a safe, inclusive, and informative space for supporters of feminism.

My personal experience with FemSoc

On October the 18th I attended the Society’s first event of the year, entitled ‘Ain’t I a Woman?’, which celebrated women of colour across the globe. The event’s proceeds were generously donated to a breast cancer awareness charity called CoppaFeel!

The FemSoc committee members thanking everyone for the great turnout.

There were three guest speakers in attendance: Selina Patankar-Owens, Head of Student Wellbeing Services; Marissa Joseph, Lecturer in Entrepreneurship at Henley Business School; and Teni Onabanjo, University of Oxford Graduate and Barrister. In their respective talks they spoke about the challenges they faced as ethnic minority women and how they overcame said challenges. As a direct result of this event, I have gained a new self-awareness of my own privileges in society as a white, straight male; I have also better developed my ability to listen and learn from everyone’s individual experiences.

Why should you join?
  1. A better campus life: I firmly believe FemSoc’s values—which include pro-active feminism, intersectionality, and inclusivity—are fundamental to making campus life safer and more enjoyable for all staff and students.
  2. Original perspectives: University is all about learning new perspectives to enrich your understanding of the world around you, so why not come to a feminist debate and listen to some challenging ideas? (Plus, free snacks and drinks are such blessings.)
  3. Community: One of the biggest benefits of joining FemSoc is that you meet students who all believe in one essential ideology: the support for women’s rights. Who in the world doesn’t want friends that are feminists?

If you would like further information regarding the Reading University FemSoc, please click here for a link to their Facebook page.

Thanks guys, have a lovely day!