Reading University Music Society Review – Why You Should Come Along Too

Emily gives us some insight into the Reading University Music Society.

I joined RUMS back in October 2017, deciding that even though I wasn’t a fresher, I certainly shouldn’t miss out on the activities on offer that I’d been missing out on in my first year. I’d been a bit bowled over by the societies on offer and ended up not joining as many as I thought I would. By second year I decided to be gutsy and join the student led music society. I must confess that I didn’t even know where the London Road campus was until a committee member walked me there and I met everyone, who all seemed at first to be excitedly brandishing instruments. You see, I wanted to try something new and joining a choir seemed like good fun. I hadn’t sung properly in a group since the days of the dreaded primary school plays and thankfully the choir at RUMS is far more in tune than a bunch of 11-year olds.

After the first session I was most certainly hooked and have since performed in 3 of the termly concerts that RUMS holds and have started playing percussion in Concert Band too. It’s made me a far more confident person, knowing I could learn a new skill and I find that singing for an hour once a week is a great relief from the stresses of deadlines and is often a great laugh in rehearsals too. Within a year of joining the society I got the courage to stand for the committee and can now proudly say I am the publicist for RUMS, getting to create artwork for the posters and encouraging new members to all of our ensembles.

I may have elaborated on why I joined RUMS, but here’s some pointers as to why you should give it a go too:

• Music is a great relief for stress and improves mental alertness (which we all need when you’ve got two lectures back to back on a Tuesday).
  • It’s only £10.50 for the whole year so it won’t break the bank.
  • We’re going to a West End show in 2019.

Lots of concerts to take part in, which is a great way to make your parents proud and say you’re spending your student loan well and not on VKs at Union!

(Our summer concert: credit to RUMS)

We’d love to see some new members to our society, so if you play an instrument or would like to sing in our choir, visit our website here. We have lots of ensembles available which practice weekly and none of these are auditioned, with monthly socials too. Come along, get involved and see what RUMS is all about.