This page provides help and guidance for administrative staff supporting Schools’ curriculum delivery in Blackboard.
Programmes Managers and Senior Programme Administrators in Support Centres are assigned certain admin roles in Blackboard for the School which they support, and these permissions can be extended to other staff on request.
Course and user management
Guides for staff with the ‘SSC Admin role‘ permissions:
- Managing Blackboard courses (Find courses and managing course settings)
- Managing Blackboard course enrolments
- Removing staff and students from Blackboard courses
- How to Batch Enrol users (with tips for identifying the correct courses in Blackboard, and copying data to Excel)
See also our staff user guides on the Course Management page of this blog e.g.
- Making a course available
- Customising a course menu
- Adding the ‘My Grades’ tool as a menu item to a course
Updating courses for the new academic year
Users and Groups
- Enrolling participants on your Course
- Course roles in Blackboard
- Changing the role of a course member
- Creating and managing Groups (link to the Blackboard Help site)
- Importing Group members from an Excel list
- Generate a class list from RISIS displaying student IT usernames
How and when are students enrolled on courses? For an explanation see this interactive model.
Assessment in Blackboard
See the Assessment pages of this blog for guidance on
Blackboard Portal Administration
The portal is a tab within Blackboard that is provided for a School to deliver important School or Department wide information and news.
Permissions to edit sections of the portal are delegated and provided by one or more local portal administrators. All Programmes Managers and Senior Programme Administrators within the Support Centres have the Portal Admin role for the Schools which they support.
The Blackboard Fileshare is a content management system which allows you to upload files to a central location, and make them accessible to students on multiple courses, or via your School’s portal tab.
Supporting Students with Blackboard/Turnitin
This guide outlines how student-facing staff in the Support Centres can assist students with Blackboard and Turnitin queries; either by providing the answer directly, by giving advice, or by directing students to the relevant support available.