The Professional Track – An Introduction

I am incredibly excited to be taking on The Professional Track this year. For anyone new to the school or anyone else who may not be aware, The Professional Track is our school’s professional development scheme that supports our students in becoming as employable as possible upon graduation.

Students need to complete three courses, two placements (one of which is an Academic Placement that links to a module), one university scheme and a reflection report to complete The Professional Track. Students then receive a professional development qualification and a list of all the activities they completed alongside their degree transcript.

The list of courses that we will have running during the spring term (weeks 7-11) are as follows:

• Publishing
  • Journalism
  • Translation
  • An Introduction to Marketing
  • Social Media Marketing
  • Report Writing
  • Essential First Aid
  • An Introduction to HR
  • British Sign Language
  • Professional Presentations

The posters are on the Professional Track Blackboard page, but I will also be putting them on social media throughout the term. Do feel free to mention these courses to any students interested in relevant career paths or who you think would benefit from a course. We also have a series of careers workshops running early in the term tailored to each of our departments.

I am based in Edith Morley 103a and will be holding office hours every Wednesday between 10:00-11:30am up to week 6. During weeks 7-11 I will have office hours between 2:00-4:00pm every Friday. Once I have a room set up I am also hoping to be in Miller for a couple of days each week.

What can I do to help?

If you are running any events or hear of any placement opportunities that you think would be relevant to The Professional Track then do let me know and I can help advertise them and have them count as part of the scheme.

Equally if you have any ideas for courses or are willing to run a session as part of a course then do get in touch. Thank you so much to everyone who has already volunteered to lead a session (or more!) this term.

If you have any students interested in The Professional Track or in carrying out an Academic Placement then feel free to send them my way. My email is g.payne@reading.ac.uk.

George Payne