EVENTS AND AWARDS

Erhan Aslan (DELAL) and Veronica Heath (DMLES) have been awarded HEA Fellowship status.

Parvaneh Tavakoli (DELAL) and Enza Siciliano-Verruccio (DMLES) have been awarded HEA Senior Fellowship status.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr Madeleine Davies has won the presitgious RUSU Teaching Excellence Award this year. She received the award at the summer 2017 graduation ceremony for the school.

Madeliene writes:

‘I’d like to say a big ‘thank you’ to everyone who nominated me for the ‘RUSU Teaching Excellence Award’. I have won the Award for Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences and I couldn’t be more thrilled.

It is difficult to express how much the nominations for the RUSU awards mean to us as individual colleagues. It makes all the difference to know that the work we do is appreciated and, when our students take the time to make this known, their generosity and goodwill is extremely touching.

Thank you again, everyone: I feel as though I’ve won an Oscar!’

Winners of University Awards for Outstanding Contributions to Teaching and Learning (Collaborative) 2017

The Centre for Quality Support and Development (CQSD) this year awarded the University Collaborative Awards for Outstanding Contributions to Teaching and Learning to members of our school.  This is a highly competitive scheme that recognises and rewards select groups of staff that have made significant and ongoing contributions to the student learning experience and also who have demonstrated an integrated team approach to enhance teaching and learning.

For the project: Promoting research-based learning through an innovative text and performance module

Dr Mark Hutchings                     English Literature

Dr Chloe Houston                       English Literature

Dr Lisa Purse                                Film, Theatre and Television

Kerry Webb                                   Library

Lisa Clark                                       Film, Theatre and Television

Josh Oliver                                     Film, Theatre and Television

George Ormisher                          Film, Theatre and Television

This innovative project builds on a TLDF mini award in 2016 for ‘Exploring Early Modern Theatre Practice in the Classroom’. It is an outstanding example of inter-departmental collaboration between academics and support staff, combining their respective strengths to enhance the teaching of early modern drama for undergraduate students.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are delighted to announce that Dr Chloë Houston and Dr Madeleine Davies (Department of English Literature) have been awarded The University of Reading Teaching Fellowship. This is a prestigious award conferred on members of staff who have demonstrated individual excellence and contributed to the development of teaching and learning within the University. The Fellowship is designed to support staff to further develop in this area and to recognise and reward excellence in teaching and the support of student learning.

Dr Madeleine Davies writes: ‘Receiving this award is a great honour and I’m looking forward to my work as a member of the UTFS Community of Practice. Teaching and learning has always been at the top of my list of priorities and this award allows me to engage in new projects designed to further enhance our provision. It will also give me fresh opportunities for dissemination of good practice as well as connecting SLL with teaching and learning initiatives being generated across the University. I would like to thank DEL colleagues and students for their support – winning the RUSU Teaching Award in April, and now receiving the UFTS Award, has been possible because of their encouragement and goodwill.’

Dr Chloë Houston writes: ‘I am delighted to have been awarded the University Teaching Fellowship and to join the UTFS Community of Practice. I look forward to learning more from my colleagues about good practice across the University and developing our teaching and learning in the Department of English Literature.’

In 2016-17 Cindy Becker (DEL) won PLanT funding for a project on active learning and professional development.