This week, I have mainly been tying up loose ends and making sure everything is documented and ready to hand over to my supervisors (Kim and Tee).
All the presentations are now broken down into three levels of difficulty with each level ‘storyboarded’ (the content for each slide detailed and arranged to give the presentation a cohesive flow) and for some of the presentations, including, thermal analysis of biomolecules, soft ionisation mass spectrometry and single crystal X-ray diffraction, the re-vamped level one version has been converted into an online presentation using Articulate Storyline.
A general overview of the module at level one has been created using Prezi and all that remains is the screencasts of the lecturers delivering each session to be recorded and embedded in the presentation.
My time here has been enjoyable, I’ve learnt a lot about different types of software and creating blended learning materials, and my scientific knowledge has benefitted greatly! I hope that my time and effort has been equally useful to the project and I look forward to seeing the finished product next year when the module goes live.
It’s coming up to the end of my placement now. I am in the process of tying up all the loose ends so my work can be handed over to somebody else!
I spent my fifth week breaking down lecture materials into a detailed storyboard of all three levels for 6/7 of the lectures in my module. This was quite tedious to say the least! I also applied Laura’s general template for breaking down lectures to my own module. Mid week I was lucky enough to view the Labs in the Hopkins building, snapping some pictures of the qPCR and gel electrophoresis machines. Continue reading
I’ve now finished week five out of six for my UROP placement and whilst the project has still got a long way to go my part will soon be coming to an end.
This week has been focussed on converting more of the existing lecture material using the online template we’ve been working towards and also trialling a slightly different version of Articulate (Articulate Studio). Continue reading
Only two more weeks of UROP placement left so the race is on to get everything done, Gold medal here I come!
One of my tasks within the project was to look through the original lecture materials and break the content down into three different difficulty levels. I have now completed this task and have begun to identify areas where more information and depth of the various topics is needed. Continue reading
Hiya, I’m Ora White and I’ve just finished the second year of my Biomedical Sciences degree here at the University of Reading. I am currently in the fifth week of my six-week UROP summer placement, working on the research project ‘Immune Response Proteins and Atherosclerosis’. Dr Kim Watson is my supervisor but on a day-to-day basis I work with Frank Atanu, a doctoral researcher here. The overall aim of the project is to achieve the structural elucidation of immune response proteins with potential roles in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis. Continue reading
Just a little recap on up-to-date achievements thus far on the Internationalisation Project. Previously we have been able to achieve quite a recognizable amount of success. However, we still haven’t reached to the finishing line.
For the past few days, I have come to appreciate and respect the work of professional journalists. Continue reading
Well the week just gone definitely had the best weather England has seen in a while!
Just after lunch on Tuesday I had a final meeting with Andrew to show him the the video & script I had come up for levels 1 and 2 for ‘Measurement of RNA expression’. Andrew was impressed by the work done so far and acknowledged that I have been a busy bee over the summer! Continue reading
At the end of another eventful and productive week (despite the temptation to take a break and enjoy the glorious weather) it’s time to reflect on what has been achieved.
Several meetings at the beginning of the week proved fruitful, discovering audio recording facilities and other software that could potentially be used within the project. Continue reading
Week 3, and I’m still enjoying myself! This week went very quickly, I have been working on my script and adding the finishing touches to the RNA technology slides. These are now complete and a script prepared, so I can start recording soon! I am starting to discover that everything is more difficult and takes longer than it seems. For example, we can only use certain images in our videos due to copyright! Was taught plagiarism before, but never copyright. Continue reading
When I was told at the start of this placement that time will “fly by”, I didn’t really believe anyone. Now that a third of my placement has gone, I am left wondering where the time has gone!
It has been another busy week testing more software (including Adobe Premier elements) and finding locations to capture both audio and video in order to produce the online materials we’ve been tasked with. Continue reading