Written by Alex Baker, Placement Coordinator
The spring term always brings the promise of lighter and warmer days; however, for students intending to do a Professional Placement Year in 2018/19, the spring term is also a very busy time. Balancing academic work with placement applications, sports, part-time work and “extra-curricular activities” is no mean feat – add circus skills to your CV as you will be doing a lot of juggling!
To help you get back into the swing of things after the break, here are some top tips:
- Having had a recent break from studies, you may well be viewing your placement plans from a different perspective. Take this opportunity to think outside the box and explore a sector or a company you’ve not yet considered. We have lots of new live placement vacancies on MyJobsOnline so make sure you check in regularly. And don’t forget about RATEMYPLACEMENT!
- Reflecting on your applications and feedback to date is vital to your success. Take the time to look back at what you’ve done so far. Think about the feedback you’ve received and put any constructive advice you’ve had so far into action. If you’ve not received any, don’t feel shy about going back and asking!
- Being organised is key to staying on track so grab your diary/calendar and make notes of your academic and placement application deadlines.
- Are you using LinkedIn regularly or at all? If you want your profile checked, book yourself in to see a Careers Consultant or your Placement Coordinator and feel confident about reaching out to your LinkedIn connections –that’s what they are there for. If you’ve not already started, we have several LinkedIn sessions this term up to 21st February, so book yourself in ASAP.
- Did you know that 97% of students who use the Careers Service would recommend us to a friend? If you haven’t done so already, pay us a visit, you, too, might like us.
- Think about why you want to do a placement and remember all that you stand to gain. A Professional Placement Year can make you shine more brightly against all the other applicants in the graduate market – do something that makes YOU unique.
With the New Year come new exciting opportunities – in February you have the chance to attend our all-new Professional Placement Year Boot Camp. Whether you have been applying for a while or just starting to apply now, this day will provide you with interactive recruitment training, insightful tips and advice from professionals to help you secure a Professional Placement for 2018/19. Not to mention free lunch and refreshments!
Book your place on MyJobsOnline now as spaces are limited.
With very best wishes for a happy, healthy and successful 2018!