Craig Simmonds gives us the inside scoop on a post-study vocation that combines the outdoors and tech-based, challenge-solving adventure.
Craig was first introduced to ground probing radar tech in 1993, having previously worked as a topographic land and measured building surveyor, as well as an Olympic Village site engineer in Barcelona. Fascinated with the expanding technology, he was led to start experimenting with ways to blend the complex radar tech output with standard topographical practises for the construction industry. He is now Managing Director of the award-winning Surrey surveying firm, Macleod Simmonds . Based on a philosophy of constant innovation, Craig has performed training and utility surveys internationally – Vietnam, Japan, India, New Zealand and the United States. He had this to say to University of Reading students:
‘As our firm embarks on a major expansion programme, the opportunity has arisen to become part of our dynamic team. With the exciting opportunity to explore the country and get involved in some of the most impressive British engineering projects, Macleod Simmonds can offer budding surveyors a unique training environment. Students will also get the chance to experience first-hand the revolutionary sub surface radar technologies we have spent the last ten years developing.’
He also offers the following information on surveying careers:
- Travel opportunities – There is the chance to explore the UK on various projects.
- Variety– surveying is not a 9-5, with no two days the same – making this a career for students who can constantly adapt to new challenges.
- Accessibility – with a multitude of ways to qualify, surveying is a profession open to all.
- Tangible difference– surveying changes the physical landscape around you, giving you the opportunity to work on projects you can envision, and physically execute.
- Growth prospects– surveying skills are a consistent demand, giving surveyors the flexibility to develop and grow in their careers.
Students interested in learning more about graduate opportunities with Craig at Macleod Simmonds should apply here, call +44 (0)330 6781115, and follow @MacleodSimmonds on Twitter and Macleod Simmonds on LinkedIn.
- 6 Compelling Reasons to Consider a Career in Telecoms - August 9, 2023
- The Reading Internship Scheme – Dal’s Experience - December 5, 2022
- Event Review: Explore Careers in Consulting, IT & Tech - November 30, 2022