Considering recent changes, the Careers and Placements teams have changed all their student-facing services to a fully digital service. This means you can fully engage with your career development off-campus, at a time that suits you.
Careers and placement appointments
We’re operating our daily 1-1 careers and placement appointments virtually! All appointments are delivered remotely, meaning you can access them wherever you are. In these appointments we can discuss any careers related topics you’re currently thinking about, including:
- discussing job options with your degree, even if you are not sure what you want to do yet
- get feedback on your CV or an application that you are making
- looking for remote internships
- getting started with LinkedIn, or improving your current profile
- preparing for in-person or remote assessment centres and interviews
- all placements related questions.
Need a CV or cover letter reviewed? Use the ‘Ask a question’ function on MJO and attach any documents you’d like feedback on, or email them to email@example.com, then our Information team will set up an e-guidance appointment for you!
Workshops and Events
Our central events programme runs as usual, with all events converted into webinars. We will be taking an event break in between the spring and summer terms. Our summer term programme will be back, as per usual, right after Easter. Keep an eye on our events listings here.
Some of you may have booked graduate recruitment events directly at an employer’s premises. We encourage you to check directly with employers to check if events are cancelled or moved to virtual delivery.
Digital Information Resources
This is a great time to maximise the wealth of digital careers and placement resources available to you. We encourage you to use the next few weeks to spend time on your own career development. We recommend:
- our 50+ information leaflets on careers with your degree
- our guides to CV writing, interviews and everything in between
- using the Graduates First online training to practice psychometric assessments
- browsing our MJO job board
- browsing Student Circus for UK-based jobs for international students
- visiting Careers 24/7 on Blackboard to download event slides and recordings
- using the PPY Placements module to prepare for placement year applications
- LinkedIn Learning, exclusively available to University of Reading students.
Placement support will continue as usual. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for questions or call your placement coordinators during office hours. Placement appointments are run virtually and can be booked online here.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme (UROP), Reading Internship Scheme (RIS), Reading Employability Development (RED) Award and Thrive support
We are currently working on adapting our careers programmes to our new remote ways of working and will share updates on these shortly. In the meantime, please contact these colleagues for questions:
UROP – Tom McCann on email@example.com
Red Award – Tom McCann on firstname.lastname@example.org
Thrive – Natasha Bindra on email@example.com
Reading Internship Scheme – Holly Forsyth on firstname.lastname@example.org or 07976608048
Students with disabilities
Please speak to us if you have questions and would like support with anything careers, jobs or application related. Our team are at hand to help you explore reasonable adjustments to recruitment processes. You can either email email@example.com, call central Careers on 0118 378 8359 or email Careers Consultant Emma Butler who leads on our support for students with disabilities: firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduate support will continue as usual. You can book remote appointments, have general queries answered or find out more about Graduate Coaching by emailing Lisa Holmes on email@example.com. To book onto any upcoming webinars click here. Additionally, you can call the Graduate Hotline every Monday evening from 6-9pm on 07989213973. For all information on Graduate support, visit our alumni page.
The Careers team are available 9-5, Monday to Friday.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0118 378 8359 and leave us a voicemail with any questions you have. The messages are regularly monitored and we will get back to you as soon as we can.