On 25 Nov, we had our first meeting with the technical stakeholders group.
I opened the meeting with an introduction to the project and its ams and objectives. Then Karsten gave a report on the technical approaches that we have considered and Guy talked about the pilot initiative.
Having considered various Open Source tools suggested by JISC, we have decided to adopt a Blackboard building blocks approach. We aim that all our developments will be available to the community and could be customised beyond users of the Blackboard VLE.
The group agreed on the approach taken and made a number of suggestions on how to further develop the Building block approach. We also discussed the various widgets and asked for input form the group on their development .
We also started a discussion around the integration of Blackboard and RISIS (our SITS system) and identified a few areas that are now feasible to work on, which will continue and will address the e-portfolio issues as outlined in the project. We discussed one of the pilots (with the RED Award), and where the information might be stored and accessed by the students.
1. Guy will post on the details of the ideas discussed around the widget development.
2.Helena will work more closely with Karsten to ensure the sustainability of the developments beyond the funding period.
3. Helena B and Rachel Crabtree will bring together documentation on previous exploration with links between RISIS and BLackboard, inlcuding the Personal Tutorial Notes. In addition, they will send Kartsen the technical documentation based on their meetings with TRIBAL.
4. Guy to set up a meeting with Vicky Clarke, Rachel Crabtree to discuss where and how student information within the RED Award initiative might be stored.
5. Maria to arrange future meetings for the group.