An art critic amongst us…

Matthew Sperling on art:

5 October 2013

I’ve become an art critic this summer. The cover story of the October issue of Apollo, the international art magazine founded in 1925, is a piece I wrote on the relation between art and alcohol. The cover features this picture of Francis Bacon stumbling with high dignity into a Soho lamp-post, and as well as Bacon, my article discusses a wide range of heavy-drinking artists and paintings concerned with drink, from Frans Hals and Jan Steen in the Dutch golden age, to Velázquez, Hogarth, the absinthe-drinking Parisians of the nineteenth century, and the beer-swilling brawlers of the New York School.

Apollo cover Matthew Sperling

Before that, I reviewed the major retrospective Eduardo Paolozzi: Collaging Culture at the Pallant House Gallery in Chichester for the September issue of Apollo (Paolozzi is a fascinating figure, and I’m keen to look more at his association with Ambit magazine and J.G. Ballard), and I wrote a blog piece for Apollo’s website on the current popularity of British pop art. And while I was in New York in September I paid a visit to the Museum of Modern Art to see the exhibition American Modern: Hopper to O’Keeffe, about which I’m trying to set down some thoughts right now…

Matthew Sperling blog item

About Cindy

Associate Professor in the Department of English Literature at the University of Reading. Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
This entry was posted in Department of English Literature news and events and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.