As part of our ongoing project to improve our services and ensure they meet current requirements, we are replacing the Mailman email distribution list service. You can read more about why we need to move away from Mailman in our post Changes to email distribution lists.
We have already migrated over 400 lists to Microsoft Outlook Distribution Groups. These are lists which contain internal members only.
Moving from Mailman Lists to LISTSERV
LISTSERV has been running since 1986. Thousands of organizations worldwide use LISTSERV to manage email newsletters, discussion groups, email communities and opt-in email marketing campaigns that reach millions of subscribers.
Key information for existing list owners
The migration of lists and users will be done automatically by DTS over the next few weeks. If you are a list owner, we will email to let you know when your list migration will take place. This email will also contain your new email list address.
There are a few steps we would like you to take to smooth the transition for yourselves and for your members.
- Familiarise yourself with the new interface (demo at Moderator interface)
- Notify members of the changes: We advise you to notify your members of the change of email address for your list.
- Update moderation and list settings: We have configured the new list moderation to be fairly restrictive, however you can make changes to these settings as you please.
- Use the new email address: We encourage you to use the new address as soon as possible. There will be a grace period of two weeks where both email addresses can be used.
- Send emails to both lists for two weeks: to allow all members to ensure that they have been successfully migrated, and that emails from the new service are being correctly delivered (and not sent to spam/junk).
I’m subscribed to a Mailman list, what do I need to do?
First of all, wait until you are advised by your list moderator that the list email address has changed!
- Familiarise yourself with the new interface (demo at Subscriber interface)
- Use the new email address: Please note that for the first two weeks after the migration, all email sent to the old address will redirect to the new list. An autoreply will notify the sender of the new email address to use.
- Create a LISTSERV account so you can access your settings and check your subscription status has migrated successfully. You must use the same email address as the email address used by your existing list.
Instructions, demos and FAQ
Instructions for list owners and subscribers can be found here: KI 1816 LISTSERV Information. We have also published an FAQ on the same page.
There are demos of the new LISTSERV interface you can try out:
Further information and Contact
If you have any questions or need any advice, please contact the Mailman migration team via the IT Service Desk.