As part of updating our services to better support remote working, all staff home drives (also known as N: drives) will move to OneDrive for Business. Our aim is for all staff to have stopped using their home drive and have moved files to OneDrive for Business by 30 April 2021.
Note that we are not moving collaborative shares or students home drives at this stage. These will be migrated following successful completion of the staff home drives migration.
What do I need to do?
We know that many of you are using OneDrive for Business instead of your home drive. If this is you, you do not need to do anything further as you are already up and running with OneDrive for Business. Please ensure you have everything you need on OneDrive and empty your home drive by deleting any remaining files.
If you are still using your home drive, we would ask that you move your data to your OneDrive for Business using the following steps
- Check you have got OneDrive for Business (Windows 10 users already have it installed, otherwise log in to office.com to access)
- From today, start using OneDrive for Business instead of your home drive
- Move your existing data from your home drive to OneDrive for Business. The advantage of moving your files yourself is you can choose what to move and when the move happens. Instructions (requires UoR login): Self Service Portal – Home drives (N: drives) move to OneDrive for Business
You may find it useful to review your data on your home drive and delete any unwanted, outdated or obsolete data before you move it across.
Here to help
We understand this is a disruptive change, and DTS are here to help you with it.
If you think you need to keep using your home drive, we need to speak with you to find a workable solution. Examples of this could be:
- where OneDrive is incompatible or problematic with applications required for university work (such as applications launched through Apps Anywhere, EndNote or Diet Plan).
- where a local sync is necessary for your applications to work (such as Case Complete)
To start this conversation, please complete the form (requires UoR login) Self Service Portal – Home Drive requirements form
If you are uncomfortable moving files to OneDrive for Business and would like help, please raise a ticket with the IT Service Desk (email email@example.com or visit uor.topdesk.net).
If you don’t move your data yourself and we haven’t heard from you, DTS will move your data to your OneDrive for Business and delete it from the home drive server. This means your data will no longer be available on your home drive. Where it has been confirmed that someone is on extended leave, on maternity/paternity leave, or long-term sick leave, we will do the same.
Any questions, comments or concerns?
If you have any questions about the migration, please email the project team at UoR-HomeDrives-OneDrive@reading.ac.uk
To raise a ticket to ask for IT assistance from the IT Service Desk, please either email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit uor.topdesk.net
We are also developing a web hub page which will contain further information, FAQs, project progress etc. here: https://www.reading.ac.uk/digital-technology-services/service-catalogue/onedrive