The Ben Pedley Award for outstanding contribution to the community through music.
This award is open to all students in their second year of undergraduate study at the University of Reading who regularly take part in musical activity in their community. This could include volunteering time to support community music activities, sharing joy through performance, or helping others to achieve their musical dreams. Some examples may be, but are not limited to:
- Playing music at your local faith centre
- Performing for neighbours during lockdown
- Taking part in University led music activities, including UoR Music or RUSU societies
The winner will be awarded a certificate and monetary prize of £150.
Nominations are invited from any member of the University of Reading and local community including students, colleagues and community members.If you or someone you know gives back to the community through music we’d love to hear from you.
- Current second-year undergraduate student at the University of Reading.
- Regularly plays, performs or otherwise contributes to the musical life of local communities, having a meaningful impact on others.
- A positive ambassador for music.
Nominations can be made through our online form and should include a short description providing details of how your nominee meets the above criteria and why they deserve to win the award.
Ben Pedley sadly died in March 2017 whilst in his second year of studying Chemistry at the University of Reading. Ben is fondly remembered for his enthusiasm, commitment and concern for others, demonstrating generous community spirit in everything he did. He was a talented pianist, devoting time to developing his musical skills and was always keen to go beyond what was taught in lessons. This award was founded in 2018 to honour Ben’s memory and inspire students to similarly contribute to their community through music and gain the most from life.