Michelle’s work for OpAL

IMG_3544 with cut and resized Michelle Oritsejafor and Ayuko Yamada

Michelle’s own words about her project: “I’m creating a video that will act as a guide to show people learning a new language how to make the most of a dictionary, which is something that sounds simple and basic, but is not really taught. I think learning how to use a dictionary in this interactive video format, using animation, and sound, is a fun and modern way to help students, even if they only incorporate some of the advice. I also think this will be beneficial for beginner level language students who can be confused by online dictionaries, and hopefully the activities we created can help them at least be wary and more aware that online dictionaries and translators are not always right.

The software I am using is Sparkol, which allows me to animate text and pictures and explain my ideas in an entertaining way, and I can see students watching the short video on their phones, or ipads on the go or at their desktops. I think it is a tool that all levels of learners can use, because many people forget the basics of learning a language, which can complicate things. Overall I hope this really helps students use dictionaries more during the language learning process.”

Pilar Gray Carlos

One thought on “Michelle’s work for OpAL