Eagles Abroad!

Sarah from University of Mary Washington offers some great pointers for studying abroad at Reading…

As the semester is winding down and examination preparation is in its midst, I am taking a moment to reflect on what has happened in the past three months of my abroad experience. A lot has happened and it has been hectic, joyful, and quite the learning experience. Let me tell you, it does rain. And yes, take your umbrella with you.

At University of Reading I am enrolled in modules in the Henley Business School. I am an International Business major and Henley’s excellence in emphasizing international study was a real draw for me! Studying at a university in the United Kingdom was definitely a transition. It places much more importance on self-learning than traditional American institutions. In all honesty, I did not know how to handle all my “free” time when I initially began my modules! However, I soon began to smoothly transition to UK study habits and joined clubs to fill my time.

One club that was extremely beneficial to my time abroad was the Erasmus Society. The Erasmus Society gave me the opportunity to meet and travel with international students and others who were interested in study abroad. It was a welcoming and friendly community which allowed me to create long lasting friendships while exploring parts of the UK’s most interesting landmarks and cities.

Speaking of traveling, the UK has allowed me to experience some of the most memorable travel experiences. I have travelled by train, plane, and bus exploring the UK. Whether the trips were planned by the amazing Erasmus & Study Abroad office, the Erasmus Society, or my own personal trip advising, I have seen and done things that I will cherish for a lifetime.

One of my favourite memories while traveling the UK was getting to see the Crown jewels at the Tower of London. I am a real fan of the “The Crown” on Netflix so getting to experience the monarchy’s history was a real treat! Even though navigating the Tube did take some getting use to!

Getting to go abroad was an amazing experience and it cannot be summed up in nearly one post. I am glad I chose to come the United Kingdom as my abroad destination and even happier that I chose the University of Reading as my abroad university!